Friday, March 19, 2010

Contest Piece International - 2010: Is That All There Is?



Piece for International Speech Contest
Program Year   : PY 2009-2010
Title          : Is That All There Is?
Delivered at   : Area 1 Contest held at Siteen Place Hotel
Evaluated by   : ACB/ALB Roi Ontiveros
Target Norm    : - not yet identified - 

Note:  
  • The original version of this speech was delivered last Feb 24, 2009 where he won 1st place in the Club Level Competition at PICPA Riyadh Toastmasters Club. The original version was posted in CC Project #9: Is That It?
  • This is the revised version and was used to represent Toast of Comsofil in the Area 1 Contest held at the Siteen Palace Hotel.
  • The speaker won 2nd place behind TM Sankayan Aier of Riyadh Toastmasters Club

     *     *     *     *     *     *
I remember…  when I was a little boy, life was difficult.   I watch the world burn in flames as the rages of war destroyed everything we have.    Poverty was the landscape of the land, and running for our survival, it was the staple food for everyone.
Then I asked my father, “Is that all there is to life… pain, suffering and hunger?”
Fellow Toastmasters, honorable judges, ladies and gentlemen good evening! 

<< the speaker will wear Trousers>>

My ever wise father just looks at me in the eyes and said: “You came to this world naked and with nothing.  Here, wear this trouser to cover your bareness. Cover yourself with experience, knowledge, and wisdom because one day you have to stand on your own. You must understand what it is to be right and what it is to be wrong.”
Like what a good son does, I followed my father’s advice.  I filled my life with best education available, and  I completed studies mostly on grants and scholarships. 
Then, I fell in love.    I was head over heels in love with this beautiful girl. She’s the most wonderful thing in my eyes, but then she turned me down.  I thought, I would die, but I didn’t.    Then I asked my father, “Is that all there is to love!  No one will love me because I looked like you?”

<< the speaker will wear a Shirt>>

My father just smiled and said:  “Now you that opened up your heart, here, wear this shirt”.  “Cover your soft spot and be ready to face the realities of life”.  “Always remember: be graceful in failure and be humble in victory”
I took a stride in the journey of men.  There I saw the foolishness of mankind.  But I also witness with the amazing power and strength of the human spirit.  The will to survive, the will to succeed!  These experiences made me strong, and more importantly, it made me a better man.
At age 21 and with two college degrees in my hands, I asked my father. “This is that all there to school?  Can I start my life now and go?”

<< the speaker will wear Shoes>>

My proud father cried and said “Yes, you can.  Wear these shoes; go… find your life somewhere. Make me proud and don’t come back!”
Indeed, I move to different places and different countries.  I meet people, meet friends, and meet enemies as well. I pick up valuable lessons along the way: skills, talent and knowledge that made me smarter.  I also pick up fashion to help me look better.    With hard work and persistence, I eventually end up brushing elbows with the gods in the corporate life.  
But just when I thought things are going smooth, I realized something was missing. Corporate responsibility was too heavy for me.  I can take the load of work, that was easy.  But not politics, intrigues and mudslinging – that was impossible.
I cried!  I want to give up.  It could have easier if my father was just alive.  All I do was ask for his wisdom.  I was 30 then, and there was no one else but that little boy in the mirror who told me:  “That that all you got? You will quit after all the training your father gave you?”

<< the speaker will wear Coat>>

I paused and told myself: “No!  I will stand up.  I Will take this coat to cover my true self, my principles and my family”
My life changed after that!  Intrigues are still there, politics still lingers, and responsibility still weights on me.  But I learned how to go home to my family without the burden of work.  Like a coat, I can put on my public life when I am outside in the world, and take it off when I am facing my family.

<< the speaker will wear a Pin>>

Ten years later, I thought … “Is that all there is to my journey?  Have I reached my peak?  Should I just save enough money and wait for retirement”?
Then someone answered … “You can listen better, you think better, you can speak better, and you will learn more by doing... the Toastmasters’ way.” 
That is why, fellow Toastmasters, I am here.  I am standing in front of you.   I am here to learn… one more time.  You will not fail me, I am sure.   You will guide me how to inspire others with my speeches.  You will help me grow to be a good leader so I can lead better.
Now let me ask you Toastmasters, “You will help me be a true Toastmaster?”

Back to you contest master!

No comments:

Post a Comment