Tuesday, November 2, 2010

ACG - 2nd Advance Manual Project #3: The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea


Advance Manual : 226-K  Storytelling 
Project # 3    : Moral of the Story
Title          : The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Delivered at   : PICPA Riyadh Toastmasters Club
Evaluated by   : ACB/ALB Roi Ontiveros
Target Norm    : Advance Communicator Gold

     *     *     *     *     *     *


One typical evening along the seashores of Cotabato, Tasyo was murmuring “why must I sail in this dark gloomy night”!  “If only I have better equipments”, he grumbled as he throw his net and paddle in the boat. “If only I have better boat”, he groan as he struggles to move his rickety craft towards the sea.  Tasyo was tired but he has no choice!  He needs to gather a good bounty, he needs to earn more to buy better equipment, he needs to feed his dozen ravenous younglings … he needs to please his vain wife. 


The breeze of Mindanao Sea was chilly but Tasyo didn’t shudder a bit. Not even the darkening blue sea could shake the resolve of Tasyo. His focus was set to one resolve: he has to gather a good bounty tonight!


Lady luck must have smiled on Tasyo!  His first cast yielded colorful bass, large hammour, and huge quantity of crabs and mollusk.    His second cast yielded a net-full of herring and yellow fin tuna, it almost broke his net.   The third and fourth casts yielded even more fishes that he gathered for the entire year.  And when he looked down, he saw schools of fishes – glimmers of yellow, red, orange, and blue fishes - all rushing beneath his shaky boat.  His boat was filled with fish up to the brim, but Tasyo wants more.   Greed started to fill Tasyo’s heart.  This is just once in a lifetime.  This will change his life forever.   He thought, he can get more by filling the net with fish and just drag it towards home.


One last time, he casted his net towards the dark deep blue sea! This time, he didn’t catch any fish.  Instead, he caught a giant Manta Ray – 4 meters wide, weighting over a ton perhaps – and it was gigantic. Tasyo was so surprised he caught himself with the net and was in danger of falling off.   He struggled and tied the net to the boat mast, gaining him enough momentum to slow down the rampaging devil.  And just when Tasyo was gaining control of the situation, the giant ray whip its tail and sliced the boat in half.


Schools of fish exploded into the sea along with the fishing tools and safety buoy… and Tasyo?  The devil carried him!  The giant manta ray swam fast – away from the boat – with Tasyo stuck at the other end of the net.   For a moment, Tasyo thought he would die under the water but the devil took him again to the surface.   As the ferocious devil started to swim, Tasyo hold his breath hoping he can have enough to survive until the next air.  And yes, he did make it… but for how long?


For a moment, Tasyo thought of cutting himself loose with his little knife but the uncertainty in the deep blue sea is far more fearful than holding on to the devil.  The deep blue sea offers no relief but empty promises of survival.  The deep blue sea is devoid of traces of hope with nothing that you can cling to and sigh. 
Tasyo has caught between the giant Manta Ray and the wilderness of Mindanao Sea.  Between the devil… and the deep blue sea!


Who among you here still clings to your personal devil?   Is there anyone here who was brave enough to let go and face the emptiness of the deep blue sea?


I for one, my fellow Toastmasters, had been fighting many devils in my life – my desire, my failed dreams, my raging ambitions, my mother, and yes, my very own self!  I cling to this devils because I know that even if they hurt me, and even if they brings me pain… it also gives me respite… enough for me to breath and survive.


Don’t dare me to let go, for I have done it too.  There are few devils that I let go: Singapore, vices, women, and greed.  I did it because in that deep blue sea, I saw someone who was willing to hold my hand.  That someone was my beloved wife.  But for my other deep blue see… I doubt if I am willing to let go. 


Fellow Toastmasters, ladies and gentlemen, beloved guest… good evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment