Tuesday, February 24, 2009

CC Project #9: Is That It?

Competent Communication Manual
Project #9: Persuade With Power
Speech Title: Is That It?
Delivered at: PIPCA Riyadh Toastmasters Club during the International Speech Club Contest
Evaluated by: TM Roi Ontiveros

* * * * *

International Speech :Is that it?

Introduction

“Woah, that is really cool.Can I touch it?”.“Just a look, please”.“Ah,you selfish brat, give me that!”

“Hehehe…I got it!”

“Father!,I didn’t mean to steal it.I just want to borrow, I’ll return it soon”

“Yes father,now, and I will say sorry”

“Huhuhu…I know father.I have my own toy.This one… and I build it with my own hands”

Salutation

Fellow Toastmasters, beloved guests, distinguished judges good evening!

I remember when I was 7 years old; I grew up in a close neighborhood of relatives.Life was difficult.While my cousins live in abundance and enjoy all the beautiful things my world offers, we – I – was left behind.Often, I lurk at the corner – with green eyes – trying to settle for tin-cans, bottle caps, cartoon boxes, and all the garbage they left behind.

Then I asked my father, “Is that it, I’ll do with these make believe”?

Trousers

He looked at me in the eyes and said.“You came to this world naked and with nothing, wear this trouser to cover your bareness.Fill up yourself with experience, knowledge, wisdom, and know what is right and what is wrong. One day, you will know how to stand on your ground”

Years past, I completed elementary education purely on grants, and I finish high school with scholarship. I simply followed my father’s advice. I equipped myself with the best education there is.

Then at 15, I experience what it’s like to fall in love and get hurt.

Then I asked my father, “Is that is, because I looked like you… no one will fall in love with me?”

Shirt

My father smiled and said:“Now you that opened up your heart, be ready to face the realities of life”.“Wear a shirt; learn to guard the soft part of you. Always remember: be graceful in failure and be humble in victory”

Then, I took a stride in the journey of men.I started to understand the natural foolishness of men and women. More importantly, I learned to understand the power of the human spirit to succeed.These experiences gave enough strength and courage to survive… and became a man myself!

Shoes

At 20 I got two diplomas with my hands, and I asked my father. “Is that it, it’s done?Can I start my life now?”

My proud father just smiled and said “Yes, you can.Wear these shoes, go on find your life somewhere and don’t come back!”

Indeed, I move to different places, meet many people, and gained valuable work skills and expertise.With hard work and persistence, I eventually end up brushing elbows with the gods in the corporate life.

But just when I thought things are going smooth, I realized I was not ready. Corporate politics intrigues and immense responsibility weight on me.

Coat

I was 30 then and that time, father was long gone.There one else to ask, but my self in the mirror ... “Is that it, you’ll quit after all the training you got from your father”?

I paused and told my self; “Take this coat, cover not only your true self, but also your principles, and your family.”

My life changed after that!Intrigues are still there, politics still lingers, and responsibility still weights on me.

But I learned how to go home to my family without carrying the load at work.And in the same manner, to back to corporate life without carrying my domestics issues.Like a coat, I can put on my public life and take it off when facing my family.

Closing

Pin

Last year, I came to Saudi Arabia and I was thinking… “Is that it, have I reached my peak?Should I just save enough money and wait for retirement”?

Then someone answered … “You can listen better, you think better, you can speak better, and you will learn more by doing... the Toastmasters’ way.”

That is why, fellow Toastmasters, I am here.I am standing in front of you.

I am here to learn… one more time.You will not fail me, I am sure.You will guide me how to inspire others with my speeches.You will guide me to be a better leader with your company.

Now let me ask you Toastmasters, “Is that it, you will help me be a true Toastmaster?”

Back to you contest master!


No comments:

Post a Comment