Tuesday, June 17, 2008

CC Project #5: The Paparazzi

Competent Communication Manual
Project #5: Your Body Speaks
Speech Title: The Paparazzi
Delivered at: PIPCA Riyadh Toastmasters Club
Evaluated by: CC/CL Beethoven T. Lee

* * * * *

Introduction

31st of August 1997, Diana, Princess of Wales died as a result of injuries sustained in a car crash in the Pont de l'Alma road tunnel in Paris, France. Her companion Dodi Fayed and the driver of the car were pronounced dead at the scene of the accident.

News of the Diana’s demise shocked the entire world. Rivers of tears were shed and along with it, an ocean of red roses swamped her wake. People came like endless line of ants offering candles and condolences, and all of them share the grief of losing a beloved Princess.

And though the investigations were still on progress, the media and gossip columns already turned their blaming fingers on the paparazzi. “The driver was running away from the obnoxious paparazzi!” everyone concluded!

I felt the lost too. Being a fan of Princess Diana, with angst I shouted “Crucify the paparazzi.” And from that day on, I unwittingly learned to hate the paparazzi.

Good evening fellow toastmasters and guest.

Body

I am pretty sure, most of you here had heard of the word paparazzi. And I bet the first thing that would come into your mind – he/she is a person who carries a camera.

The word paparazzo (singular form of paparazzi) comes from an obscure Old Italian dialect which literally means an annoying & noisy mosquito. Like its namesake, indeed, paparazzi have been criticized for their pesky behavior. They have utter disregard for privacy, they trespasses and worst, they would stake out just to get what they want.

But have you ever asked how it is like being paparazzi?

Just few years back when I first pick up a camera and discover a passion on photography, I was always conscious of the word paparazzi. My friends would tease me… “Ah, so now you’re paparazzi”. “Of course not”, I replied with an enraged eyes. “But I eat pizza”, I quipped – then my friends would loudly laugh.

But seriously, there were many times when I started to doubt that what I was doing is leading me to a personality that I hate..

It all started when I was "hired" by a local magazine in Singapore. The task was simple: get a “good and presentable” picture of the celebrity or the minister who graced an occasion.

But it was never easy. I have to compete with a horde of wild photographers. I leaned to develop strong guts – I became shameless, my friends would say, I cultivated limitless patience and perseverance – waiting for long hours before my subject would arrive, and lastly I develop the skills of blocking and ambush.

From afar, I would observe how the target moves. With correct anticipations, I would position myself ahead of the target and the moment he/she passes by, and then I’ll do my job. All you could hear is the machine gun clicks of the camera (show the audience the camera and click) and blinding lights of flashguns (turn on the flash and click). It was very effective and m publisher loved me for my pictures. But even if my pockets were filled with handsome rewards, I left the assignment because… I don’t want to be paparazzi.

One day by chance, I met a local famous photographer. He invited me to work with him for a project with celebrities, and many other models involving Thais, Russians, and Brazilians. Alas, I felt comfortable. Working in a studio was far from pressure and certainly not paparazzi stuff. Not only that I could see beautiful women all the time – oh they are naked (grin and wink) – I can control the creative aspect of the shoot.

A year later, my mentor taught me a skill called 1-second technique. That is: to lift the camera, point to the subject, set the correct settings, click, and then hide it back – all in one second. (Repeat the demo but do it quicker to make it 1 second). You may ask, why the rush? My new task calls for a rapid and precise shooting. My models would walk in public places – mostly crowded – would pose in a flash (for about 2 seconds) then walk away. I must perfectly capture that moment, right the first time, all the time. No redo, no undo.

I have to conceal my gears otherwise; I would attract attention of the bystanders or onlookers. Using specialize accessories like hand strap to preclude the camera from dropping – I can hide my camera behind my back and walk casually.

At first, I find it was interesting. But when I mastered the skill, I realized that this is the technique that most paparazzi uses when stalking celebrities. Eventually, I left the magazine and concentrated on studio photography – the one I enjoyed most.

The drift of my hobby towards paparazzi didn’t stop there.

One time, I was invited to Philippines for big-buck project. A not-so-known corporate executive paid us to take candid photo shoots in all his public appearances. We should come in full force – all five of us - and should devote 80% of our efforts taking his pictures thus giving an impression that he is important and significant. We will discreetly submit the pictures on a common repository where another team will use that for his PR campaign.

Oh, unusual, don’t think? No, it’s common practice. You just didn’t know it. Showbiz personalities – mostly fading stars or start up actors / actresses hire people like us. And we gladly indulge with their caprice with mucho dinero.

And yes, politicians too! But I can’t divulge more otherwise they might send someone here in Riyadh and get me into trouble. Just ask our handsome and youngest Senator of the Land? (Give a wicked smile and wink).

Closing

What have we learned tonight my fellow toastmasters? Paparazzi are pesky, we all agree on that. Those paparazzi made money, lots and lots of money, out of those candid pictures. You are partly to be blame, because you patronize gossip columns, tabloids, and ugh smut magazines – thus we created the demand.

We learn that there are paparazzi that were paid by the subject themselves. Oh, the glory of fame is indeed glittery and controversial.

And me … I now understand and felt how it is to be paparazzo.

In parting, I’d like to share what my dad said when I told him I hate his disciplinarian ways… “be careful with what you hate, you may end up just like that”

Back to you toastmaster of the evening

No comments:

Post a Comment